Dark Clan Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 released  (Read 5072 times)
VegasKill
Administrator

« on: Thu 20.03.2014 00:07:18 »

Came a bit sudden to me, but it seems like Unreal Engine 4 was released today.
Homepage: https://www.unrealengine.com/

Currently, there is a subscription fee of 19$ per month to use the engine. If you cancel that, you can keep the engine but no longer get updates for it.

In case you do anything commercial with it, you pay an additional 5% of revenues.

Unrealscript was removed. ...not happy about that. xxxthumbsdown.gif
But it is supposed to be possible to freely modify the engine with C++.

What do you guys think about the UE4? Or do you mostly just hope for a UT4? msn012.gif
« Last Edit: Thu 20.03.2014 00:10:07 by VegasKill »

Mess with the best, die like the rest
RattleSN4K3
Mr. Massacre

« Reply #1 on: Thu 20.03.2014 10:32:04 »

You forgot the news, that Tim Sweeney (founder and quite head of Epic) announced that there won't be (and there is no plan for a) Unreal-universe game soon.

UT4 is officially not gonna happen.

---------------------------

Well. In favor of scripting, they added Blueprint. Blueprint is the exact same thing as UnrealScript+Kismet. If you take a look at it, you'll see the analogy. It's not code anymore, but nodes. And Blueprint's can be used as template for several things. Just like UnrealScript classes. You can built a complete game with Blueprints. Even Replication is possible. A good replacement for Unrealscript. Designers can work directly on their ideas without coding knowledge.

Modding is difficult with UE4. Modders have to subscribe in order to create something for/with the engine - even with a released game. These company aren't allowed to publish the header files or any UnrealEngine source code. So it's difficult to mod on the basis of UnrealEngine without knowing it. Their won't a such complex API like UT3/UDK has.

I thought they gonna do something really new as several forum members good a change to work with UE4 severa months ago till now. It was their beta test. And these members helped create the new forum, AnswerHub, tutorials, etc.

I will likely get my hands on it, as there's always some advantages of knowing some deeper native code to create things for UDK/UT3. $20 dollars aren't that much compared to the full engine license fee of UE3.

-----------------

And just another news regarding game developing. CryEngine create a similar subscription option. You can license the full CryEngine for only 10$ (or euros) and can release a commercial game without any royalty.

http://cryengine.com/news/crytek-announces-its-cryengine-as-a-service-program

-----------------------

Last day was Christmas and Eastern on one day for all the game devs ... imo.

PS: Unrealscript can be easily moved to C++.
RattleSN4K3
Mr. Massacre

« Reply #2 on: Thu 20.03.2014 11:36:09 »

IF you read more and more you get impressed very quickly. But what do you expect when having an outdated UI for a Toolset. Unreal Editor exists in its layout till 1996-1999.

One thing i really like is the UI of the editor. And i read that you can also create your ingame UI with the same framework.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/Slate/Overview/index.html

That would really help for RypelCam  xxxw00t.gif xxxw00t.gif xxxw00t.gif wink2.gif
VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Thu 20.03.2014 12:57:12 »

UT4 is officially not gonna happen.
That's a blast. There was supposed to be an AAA FPS title under development by Epic, alongside with an old-school arena FPS by Cliff Bleszinski, who left Epic before they sold out 50% to a Chinese company (even if not officially UT). Embarrassed

Blueprint.
Kismet2, seems like drawing Code with MS Paint to me. Grin
Maybe it is worth a look, I'm not keen on learning C++, as you surely already noticed.  Wink

I'll wait and see if the editor ships with their Minecraft-like game Fortnite, I'm not going to subscribe/unsubscribe to Epic to download a Editor that is 'unpolished' and currently requires a 'beefy PC' to properly run.

...If you get the source, check if the DemoRecDriver is still there[!!!] Grin

RattleSN4K3
Mr. Massacre

« Reply #4 on: Thu 20.03.2014 14:19:05 »

If I got more time, i would definetely try something real with the unreal engine. Creating a game out of a basic concept, etc. Time... gosh

I doubt DemoRecDriver is removed. It was a basic feature on UE3.

If i ever had permission to do something with UDKUT3...
VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Thu 20.03.2014 22:12:44 »

If I got more time, i would definetely try something real with the unreal engine.
[...]
UDKUT3
How about 'real tournament'? Inspired by, but not cloned from UT. But use hexa-kill instad of monsterkill, or Epic is gonna sue you! Wink

RattleSN4K3
Mr. Massacre

« Reply #6 on: Fri 21.03.2014 09:03:49 »

There aren't that much of trademarks/copyrights. I was advised to create custom weapons/vehicles. But that's beyond my level of skills.

There are tons of clones. The latest one would be Project Nex.

It must be some straight port instead of a clone imo. Otherwise it's just another clone. And i doubt UE4 will work for Arena-FPS players. Have you checked the system specs? You won't get that much of performance on low end PCs.

Waiting for CliffyB :D
VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Fri 21.03.2014 20:35:59 »

There aren't that much of trademarks/copyrights.
In the UDK version, maybe, but UT3 stands under Midway's copyright. Moving their assets or code to UDK pretty clearly breaks the EULA. If someone would sue you or if noone gives a dime as long as you don't commercialize a game, that is an other topic.
But even with such permission, all the native code where noone knows what exactly Epic does there... you'd have to rewrite a lot yourself, don't know how meaningful that would be. By the way, what improvements for UT3 do you expect from UDK over the Engine of UT3?

And i doubt UE4 will work for Arena-FPS players. Have you checked the system specs? You won't get that much of performance on low end PCs.
You reffer to the recommended specs for the Editor, or to the minimum specs for running a game?
UE4 is supposed to scale well, like that elemental demo: high quality details on a PC and less particles and details on a (beta-PS4) console.
Even mobile phones will run UE4.
Epic also wants to rule the browser game segment with javascript-UE4 games, they can't expect high end machines playing casual games. ...and Epic will copy your facebook profile pic and gather data about your friends, no joke... and pass data about you to a set of trusted companies, but no need to tell which those are. Murica is proud of you. wasted

So, back to topic, the min specs will very between different games, which does not exclude arena FPS on UE4. ...And the Editor will be improved, Epic clearly states the current version is only for early adopters.

If games will run 60 FPS in 720p or 1080p on a Xbox 1 or PS4, that may already set the maximum of the graphics quality bar until the next console generation is there, I guess. Wink
« Last Edit: Fri 21.03.2014 20:42:34 by VegasKill »

RattleSN4K3
Mr. Massacre

« Reply #8 on: Sat 22.03.2014 06:56:50 »

In the UDK version, maybe, but UT3 stands under Midway's copyright. Moving their assets or code to UDK pretty clearly breaks the EULA. If someone would sue you or if noone gives a dime as long as you don't commercialize a game, that is an other topic.
I checked several sources. And already asked a official. The code part is not restricted. Not sure about the assets in general. The most important for Epic was the SkeletalMeshes. Not sure why. Looks like the keep holding their trademark on the Weapons and vehicles.

But even with such permission, all the native code where noone knows what exactly Epic does there...
[/qoute]
The weapons do have less native code. The vehicles are more complex and have more native code so they run smoothly on console. UnrealScript could have handled that as well for PCs. The most tricky part i was working on and stopped was the hoverboard grapple thing as I didn't get the proper physics.

By the way, what improvements for UT3 do you expect from UDK over the Engine of UT3?
Bigger open community, new refreshing start, and DLLBind, Scaleform, Lightmass, DX11. And all the advanced features of the editor light Landscape, Foliage, etc.

There are several advantages.

You reffer to the recommended specs for the Editor, or to the minimum specs for running a game? [...]
Not sure about running game specs. But the high end spcs split the community apart. Less players bought UT3 as their computers weren't capable enough to run UT3. They sticked to UT2004.

We can only wait and see what the future will bring us.
Bloody.Bender
Dark Clan Member

« Reply #9 on: Mon 24.03.2014 16:42:55 »

Too bad there won't be any UT related game. After all this Quake Live playing I have a huge urge to play some UT again, but not the old one but a new one. Apparently it's not gonna happen.  Roll Eyes

Let them say I walked with giants. Men rise and fall like the winter wheat, but these names never die. Let them say I lived in the time of Narcisuss, sculptor of physiques. Let them say I lived in the time of Zyzz.
RattleSN4K3
Mr. Massacre

« Reply #10 on: Wed 26.03.2014 14:21:30 »

...If you get the source, check if the DemoRecDriver is still there[!!!] Grin
Demorec or something similar doesn't exist in the current public engine version (4.01). Not sure if it exist in Epic's own build. There is no DemoRecDriver either.
VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: Thu 27.03.2014 20:31:28 »

I wonder about Epic's motivation to remove demo support, and whether a proper 'out of the box' replacement will be available for UE4 games.

UE4? Maybe later on, when a good game is released.
But for now: nothing to do here.

RattleSN4K3
Mr. Massacre

« Reply #12 on: Fri 28.03.2014 11:13:41 »

I don't think is removed from the own build. The replication part of UE3 didn't change that much. And DemoRecDriver is just a client-like connection which dumps all the replication data into a file.

It would have been great tho, if a DemoRecDriver is on board as it would allow to reverse engineer any demo of UT3 and get the Location/Rotation data for any Actor. This would be good for the external Rewind tool for RypelCam.

The public engine is still very good. It's just an extended UDK with C++ support. Most indie devs are having much benefit of it.

In interesting interview in the last days:
http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/26/5542822/the-future-of-games-epic-games-tim-sweeney-fortnite-unreal-tournament
VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: Fri 28.03.2014 22:53:38 »

Just an assumption, maybe Epic wasn't satisfied with their rather poor implementation of demo recording and wants to replace it.
An advisable source of inspiration for Epic could be the Valve movie maker for the source engine, which allows to do much more than recording gameplay and than blocking the view on a first or third person perspective:

RattleSN4K3
Mr. Massacre

« Reply #14 on: Sat 29.03.2014 12:08:18 »

Yep. That could be true. Fortnite is some sort of community game and what makes the community as such, contributions in form of video footage. Since their own new UI is so great and working ingame as well, they could create their own Filmmaker.
RattleSN4K3
Mr. Massacre

« Reply #15 on: Mon 02.03.2015 18:15:36 »

... for free.
https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/ue4-is-free

afrodd.gif
VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: Tue 03.03.2015 12:45:44 »

... for free.
This is the end of the incredibly modding hostile Unreal subscription license. Sounds like this will stop the indie scene from preferring Unity over Unreal.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: