Dark Clan Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Toxikk (vs UT3)  (Read 5710 times)
VegasKill
Administrator

« on: Sat 24.01.2015 13:11:15 »

i'm more looking forward to Toxikk than UT4
UT3 Toxikk is available for purchase on Steam, despite the game not being finished. The only deathmatch map, DM-Heatray Foundation, looks pretty dark - maybe because it is an urban environment at nighttime. The map is painted in a desaturated color scale of gray and brown. Colors are only to be found on neon lights. Oh, and there is an oversized hologram of a dancing lady on the roof.

Seriously, how much of a rip-off can a game be? Frag it like it's 1999 UT3!  xxxlaugh.gif

I'd advice anyone to stay with UT3 instead of the prepurchase version of Toxikk, maybe check out the final release when it's done. The developers don't realize the importance of first impressions. They should clearly have seen this in the history of UT3. Releasing an unfinished demo was fatal. Despite the game was patched and turned out pretty playable later on, the player base was gone.

Mess with the best, die like the rest
RattleSN4K3
Mr. Massacre

« Reply #1 on: Sat 24.01.2015 19:06:42 »

AFAIK, it was planned as a rip-off isn't it? I think the creater of RöcketForest is on the team. If you look closely, you can see the remake in Toxxik in its debut trailer.

The UT forum is also bashing Toxikk but some player really like it.
VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Sun 25.01.2015 10:25:46 »

AFAIK, it was planned as a rip-off isn't it?
Apparently that is the case.

The developers didn't know about UT4 when they started to work on Toxikk,so basing a game on any UT game is not that shameless. I just expected more of ut99 influence, since they promote the game as "frag like it is 1999".
I didn't expect them to mostly take just UT3 as reference, since that was supposed to be the "flop game" of the series, ignoring ut2003 even being a game on its own. If people like it, it shows that UT3 was not such a bad game at all. :)

An alternative based on UT3 running on a more modern engine isn't that bad, in case UT4 should flop despite being free. Who knows to what extent Epic is gonna make UT4 free anyway, maybe they'll keep it up with the 20 bucks a month for using the SDK - at least Toxikk is supposed to provide a free SDK for owners of the game.

PS. No demorec, at least that is what developers say. Maybe they didn't even test it yet. Roll Eyes Devs just call it a "nice to have" feature, where nth = fine if it works withouth further ado, otherwise there possibly will always be something else to do that has a higher priority. Could be a RypelCam candidate, otherwise.

VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Sun 25.01.2015 13:21:36 »

So yeah, devs just didn't try demo recording when they said it didn't work (source on Toxikk forum). It seems to work for local games, so it is reasonable that it works on servers aswell. With unrealscript still in place in that engine version, there could be a Toxikk RypelCam, if the SDK is released.

RattleSN4K3
Mr. Massacre

« Reply #4 on: Mon 26.01.2015 00:29:49 »

1999 is just the date where it all began. It's quite logic to use it as a term to not exclude anything. It's pretty obvious that no new game will be like a game back in the days. There is always some sort of advancing throughout a game (implemented as expierence-value) as that's what people care about these days - competing by "I'm on level X"/"I got a KD-rate of X.XX"/"I unlocked that X skin"/etc.. A Quake/Doom/UT 1:1 port won't work IMO.

I know (judging from posts) that one dev was working on demo replication. Since they are using UDK (not UE3 full) they have to work with that what Epic is providing (natively). Many features of UT3 were stripped off UDK. UT3 2.0 had many features which didn't got added to the base UE3/UDK version (I've read that also from one Epic dev somewhere).

As mentioned by Reakktor, they started Toxikk because Epic didn't want to work on the franchise for a long time. They pretty much got the intention to create a UDK UT-like game in 2012. I got the same intention back in 2010/11. I officially asked Epic (via PM@Flak; July 2012) to create such project in collaboration with the UDK community using UT3 assets but also likely implementing a UT3 login validation check so only users wit the original game could use that community UDK-UT3. But that game was planned as the same as Toxxik, addressing all UT fans (99, 2kx, UT3 and also UCx). The legal department was against it. That was a big rock on that journey. That project was on pause for a long time. But with the release of UE4 OT was created and I joined that small group. Not sure if Epic ever reveal why they are creating UT now and not a new retail UT4 but I guess OT was one reason and they wanted to 1. never actually adandon UT, 2. don't have issues with OT being a simple rip-off (as the initial plan for that game wasn't good after all) and 3. to get interets in working collaborative on a new UT by using the new UE4. OT got dropped quite fast, the same could have happened to Toxikk if UT4 would have been release in late UT2012 or early 2013.

After that small background information about my own plan for a UT-like game, I see no reason to bash Reakktor (or any other small indie group) which are trying to create a UT-like game (as clone, rip-off, inpiration, ...) as all the intentions go back to only 1 thing: We all love UT because of its gameplay and less about it looks. That's what all the games have in common. And I could have been in the same position as Reakktor, being bashed and justify the look and direction of my game. I actually like the direction of Toxikk. Even more as the current process/direction of UT(4). But that's a personal thing and might only be temporarily.

Once the SDK is released/accessible, a RypelCam adapted version for Toxxik could be created. Probably not by me as I don't plan to buy an access-code for Toxxik for the moment (still too much on my todo-list as you may know whistle). It actually looks like the trailers are already made from captured live demos and using some sort of camera tool.

PS: UE4 doesn't prevent us/anyone from creating RypelCam4 msn012.gif don't think that Rypel, you or me will work on that in the near future tho.

PPS: UT will have a free SDK but that won't be as accessible as the full engine editor (said quite recently by one Epic dev). Without knowing anything about the plans, I would say one can expect the same editor like it was available for UT3 but this time for UE4 and not UE3. Since you won't need to have script access for BluePrint, the game can be extended like UT3. It might be a big security problem, but Epic could also allow C++ modding without having to provide the source code by provinding just the header files.
VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Mon 26.01.2015 13:11:58 »

Once the SDK is released/accessible, a RypelCam adapted version for Toxxik could be created. Probably not by me as I don't plan to buy an access-code for Toxxik for the moment (still too much on my todo-list as you may know whistle).
Yeah, sorry for not being of help. But I can take on the port for Toxikk, it is just a simple task if the port is based on the RO2 RypelCam.

PS: UE4 doesn't prevent us/anyone from creating RypelCam4 msn012.gif
Just for saying, you could also implement RypelCam functions in CS:Go or Quake. But I'd say, it is up to Epic to finally implement a porper spectator with some camera tools. All games based on UE4 would benefit from that solution.

OT got dropped quite fast
But as you said, it might have been the reason for the start of the development of UT4.
I recall Epic being total d*ckheads about OT, saying you could make that game if you don't use UT assets and don't use the brand name. The hell, I'd rather go for an Open Tournament game on Unity or CryEngine, just to annoy a company for such statements. finger

Bloody.Bender
Dark Clan Member

« Reply #6 on: Mon 26.01.2015 18:54:18 »

Lmao at Toxikk. If someone uploaded this as a UT3 mod I'd believe him.

Let them say I walked with giants. Men rise and fall like the winter wheat, but these names never die. Let them say I lived in the time of Narcisuss, sculptor of physiques. Let them say I lived in the time of Zyzz.
VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Sun 01.02.2015 23:20:19 »

There is no modding support yet, but since the game is mostly based on UDK, it was enough to decompile just a little code from the Toxikk game files to get RypelCam to work. Kinda not working correctly yet, since it would require to decompile more code from Toxikk, so no download for the Toxikk RypelCam for now.

Example video showing a simple camera path:

RattleSN4K3
Mr. Massacre

« Reply #8 on: Sun 01.02.2015 23:49:16 »

afrodd.gif
joaoFCB
Mr. Massacre

UT3 Fick Clan

« Reply #9 on: Tue 17.02.2015 12:49:43 »

I see Vipers and Hellbenders using self-destruct.

I see weird fatty Mantas and Raptors using Goliath's Minigun.

I also see "rypelcam" scenes across vCTF-RocktForst.

I see UT3,9  Grin

Fick Clan is reviving! Join us at www.fick-ut3.tk
iFCB
RattleSN4K3
Mr. Massacre

« Reply #10 on: Tue 17.02.2015 15:55:50 »

That manta is clearly too big. I cannot even see a difference in those two models, Raptor and Manta.
Bloody.Bender
Dark Clan Member

« Reply #11 on: Tue 17.02.2015 16:13:04 »

Oh god...

Let them say I walked with giants. Men rise and fall like the winter wheat, but these names never die. Let them say I lived in the time of Narcisuss, sculptor of physiques. Let them say I lived in the time of Zyzz.
VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: Tue 17.02.2015 20:50:36 »

Good thing there is a second map and gamemode now. Made a quick game and it looks fine so far.

The viper alike vehicle is the "hoverboard" of this game. It can be spawned at any time, even when you hold the flag (called "cell" in this game). This will consume all the energy of your energy pack, which alternatively can be used for cloaking/making you semi-transparent. You won't have any weapons or selfdestruct mode, but you can make hit and runs - but you'll fall to the ground whenever you take any damage.

VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: Mon 11.05.2015 12:10:55 »

Just making some publicity here, since Toxikk is on sale for a short period. Steam page: link

The game is still in the early access stage, but finally got a matchmaking system and some new maps and game modes. Usually not many people did play this game, since there was no map rotation and the weapons are not that unique as the arsenal offerend in the UT games. With the latest patch and the current promo, the playerbase grew considerably, and with the editor being published in the coming weeks, custom content will make the game more interesting and attract more people aswell. ...And RypelCam support is planned aswell, when the game is released.

« Last Edit: Mon 11.05.2015 12:12:07 by VegasKill »

VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: Sun 14.08.2016 15:06:09 »

http://toxikk.com/newspost/5046/
As voted by the core community, 1.0 will come with an alternative FREE TRIAL, to lower the entry barrier for everyone to play TOXIK. The FREE TRIAL (aka FREE EDITION) has nothing to do with F2P, but acts as a classic PC game demo.
Basically you will be able to play 1-2 maps of the full release of Toxikk for free, altogether with owners of the full game. You'll have to pay for more maps, so one can look at this as the UT2004 demo.

VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: Wed 07.09.2016 17:21:46 »

http://toxikk.com/ launches on 9th of September 2016.
If you are not sure if Toxikk is worth to buy, because of UT4 being free and whatnot, try the demo. It allows to play the game online on the same servers as owners of the full game, you get all weapons and 4-5 maps (vctf shoebox  wasted) to try the game.
« Last Edit: Wed 07.09.2016 17:23:54 by VegasKill »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: