Dark Clan Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: UT99 vs UT 2004 vs UT3 - whats the pros and contras?  (Read 4887 times)
VegasKill
Administrator

« on: Sat 27.09.2008 17:13:45 »

At school a mate had a magic DVD full of games you could run on any PC with lan or internet connection  Wink. ...Starcraft, Need for Speed and not at least UT2004, which worked online with many servers and never became boring for me until the release of the UT3 demo.
Well, recently I played a match in UT04 and saw many people I knew cose they played the game years ago. E.g. Combo Whore or Renderer, who I remember to have played UT3 for some months and switch back to UT04. ...It was fun to change to spectating mode when Renderer entered a server, cose noone else I know is that talented with hammer jumps or makes massacres in Necropolis with viper-pancakes  Wink 
Stats of Renderer ...suddenly his played games stopped, what a pity!

There have to be other reasons except the hardware requirements and the bad marketing by epic, why people keep playing the old version! Fails of UT3?:
-the menue,
-the statistics (how to compare a kill in deathmatch with a captured flag, a linked node or a destroyed core?  wasted )
-the server browser
-the level design and the bugs in almost any maps, that noone ever fixes

I prefer UT3 to UT04, I recognized that really clearly as I recently started ut04 and was a bit shocked how the grafics look at the best settings  Sarcasm ...even if in UT3 there is no adrenaline or "holy shit!"s

Well, I never played UT99, so I can say nothing about it.

Mess with the best, die like the rest
darkredfox
Dark Clan Member

GRRRRR!

« Reply #1 on: Sat 27.09.2008 18:09:33 »

I've played many games, a part of them are older then the most of u.  _-hOLY sHIT-_

Often i played UT2004 with my brother (he still play only 2004) and a younger friend. This boy frag me so often and i begun to make excercises. After a while i change my style and do not try 2 play like him, but use my advantages. I cannot mess my hardskills with younger playerz, but if i have the right weapon, i can despite defeat them.

Whats the reason 4 play a former version which is graphical insomuch inferior?

The same reason i play older gamez like Tetris: The gameplay lifes from the idea, its pure game. And without this f***ing bugs, but easy, direct gameplay. Sharp aiming. And more players, full servers.

However, i play UT3 cause its the best game i've ever played. Tried out some other, but noway 4 change. Maybe its the complete design, the animation and grafix. But i cannot explain full...  Grin

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl FHTAGN.
K_G_
Godlike Member

There cannot be light, without darkness!!!

« Reply #2 on: Sat 27.09.2008 21:40:43 »

i only have played ut3 lool =$

Bloody.Bender
Dark Clan Member

« Reply #3 on: Sun 28.09.2008 07:53:58 »

I have played 2k4 but not online cause its crac... and UT3 (this one online Tongue )

Let them say I walked with giants. Men rise and fall like the winter wheat, but these names never die. Let them say I lived in the time of Narcisuss, sculptor of physiques. Let them say I lived in the time of Zyzz.
aka_sova
Dark Clan Member

« Reply #4 on: Sun 28.09.2008 11:05:31 »

until i downloaded UT3 i played only UT99. Actually played it since we had a computer in our house :D That was when i was...smth like 10-11 years old. I placticed with bots, then didnt play it 3 years, then installed again and practiced more. I played with godlike bots CTF and that was funny.

I think UT3 isn't so different with UT99. I think they just changes the graphics and added some new types of game and maps. Unfortunately, they didnt take forward good maps from UT99, like LavaGiant, which i especially liked, or some more, that i dont remember their names. And i wanna dominating game type too  tongue

PS.I didn't even play UT2003 or UT2004.
Heggi
Doublekill Member

« Reply #5 on: Wed 01.10.2008 18:01:19 »

I guess the cons with these games are that they arent as cool as UT2003 and the pro is that its better than all other games out there except ut2003.

I've played all the UT games but never had more fun in any other game than in UT2003.
I havent played UT2003 since november cause then i got UT3 and a newer computer that can run the new UT3.

I liked UT99 it was a really fun game compared to all other fps out there at the time.
But when UT2003 came out which looked much cooler i started to play that.
I played through all skill levels and some instant action before i started playing it online.
I've had loads of fun playing some very fun mutators in UT3.

Then UT2004 came out which had vehicles that i really hated. Felt like epic wants vehicles in their game just cause other games have vehicles too. Nothing that made me happy. I rather avoided playing with vehicles. And kept going with some highspeed lowgrav zark and some insta instead. People say ut2004 runs better than ut2003 but i never had any problem with ut2003. To me UT2004 was just a bad upgrade to ut2003 so that they could steal more money from people but i still bought it cause i like the UT series. The default skins look a lot worse in ut2004 than they do in ut2003 and a lot of clans i played with changed their mutators a bit and then the gameplay changed to the worse i think so i moved back to ut2003 for another 3 years before i got back into ut2004 in 2007 i think it was.

Well UT3 doesnt have as much players and it doesnt have much fun servers, they are all the same except for a few exceptions where they have fun mutators and fun custom maps. In UT3 they removed 1 of my fav gamemodes "bombing run" so it's not that attractive if it wasnt for new maps and new graphics in the remaining gamemodes i wouldnt play it. 1 positive thing about UT3 is that the vehicles are more interesting than in ut2004. I'm usually not that into graphics i use to run UT2003 on lowest graphics cause then u might see glitches in maps that high graphic users could miss, but for now UT3 is what i'm playing and on pretty high graphics.

My biggest questions about UT3 are:
Why do epic make a new version of a game and removes a lot of features that was in the older version. If u make a new version wouldnt u improve it with more fun gamemodes and let the old popular ones remain?
Why did they release a game full of bugs that needs a lot of patching work with less gamemodes that before.
And the timing when big games like COD4 and Crysis was new? Did they need more competition?

Old UT games was great, i think epic have lost it.
And now they will focus on consoles some say...
And now u would have to buy a mouse and a keyboard to play a console game properly.
I wouldnt play fps with those small playstation controller dildo buttons anyway.

Gaming is a lot better on pcs i think!
Long live UT 99 - 2004
« Last Edit: Wed 01.10.2008 18:15:44 by Heggi »

VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Wed 01.10.2008 19:17:08 »

Oh well, I forgot about UT03, what a shame  Roll Eyes ...UT04 was just kind of copy & paste of UT03 mixed with some patches and minor changes.

Heggi:
My biggest questions about UT3 are:
Why do epic make a new version of a game and removes a lot of features that was in the older version. If u make a new version wouldnt u improve it with more fun gamemodes and let the old popular ones remain?
Why did they release a game full of bugs that needs a lot of patching work with less gamemodes that before.
And the timing when big games like COD4 and Crysis was new? Did they need more competition?

Yeah, I understand what you mean: UT99 had separate statistics for deatchmatch, CTF etc. That would be great! But now its all just one statistic for everything - and pure deathmatch players have no chance to get higher leaderboard rankings than onslaught  warfare players, who get points for healing nodes  Sarcasm.

Mess with the best, die like the rest
darkredfox
Dark Clan Member

GRRRRR!

« Reply #7 on: Wed 01.10.2008 20:48:30 »

Points 4 healing nodes? WTF? Yeah, i'm not so glad that i dont receive points 4 covering my mates carrying the flag or healing vehicles. But this crap with common lists 4 all gametypes... I feel high esteem 4 skilled DM-Players, cause they fight with weapons made from brain and skill. Sometimes more skills then brain.  tongue

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl FHTAGN.
ArcAne
banned

PtE

« Reply #8 on: Thu 08.01.2009 12:48:19 »

I have played every Unreal release, and i got to say, that the best one for gameplay was UT99. The graphics were good for it's time, the gameplay was spot on, and it's maps were great and fun. Assault game mode in this was amazing, compared to that of 2004.

2003's release was a dire dissapointment, but ofcourse they realeased 2004, which in my opinion was great. The gameplay was good, and it had new gamemodes and vehicles, but some of the remake maps, especially Hyperblast, was crap. The graphics were ok for the time of release (Mainly the terrain and meshes looked good, players didn't) and an addition of some newer weapons, i found that 2004 though was not as fun as i thought UT99 was.

UT3 Is a cross of 2004 and 99, but without Assault and lots of decent maps, there are only a few maps i consider to be really good in UT3, but the graphics and animations and how cool the game is, is what makes me play UT3 over any other UT, The gameplay is also good and it is a fun game to play. But if you was a UT99 player, you will understand what i said.

On a side note - Because UT99 was the first Unreal Tournament, people that played it compare the newer games to the first one, to see similarities, people think that Unreal Tournament games should be the same as the former, and think that this makes it "Unreal Tournament"

I personally think that when UT3 has all of it's bugs sorted out, a few more player models to use and a few more maps, (And pray for assault) the community might get bigger, either that, or it will split up the already small community we have.

(UT3.5 expansion is rumored to be for release sometime late this year)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: