Dark Clan Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: operating systems  (Read 1965 times)
VegasKill
Administrator

« on: Fri 15.05.2009 23:48:15 »

I'm setting up Windows7 64 now to test it with UT3 (some win7 prerelease v7127).
The gaming performance is better with this version of win7 than the Win Vista ones and a new Nvidia grafix driver was released. Enough reasons to finally test DX10.  embarrassed

For different reasons I won't use win7 for my Desktop use... but its performing far better and less problematic than vista.

...XP will stay on my PC for some more years =)

Mess with the best, die like the rest
aka_sova
Dark Clan Member

« Reply #1 on: Sat 16.05.2009 08:04:17 »

I heard lots of guys use Windows 7 now...
m4rt1ni
Dark Clan Member

« Reply #2 on: Sat 16.05.2009 09:01:24 »

More info pls Vegas. I'm running XP for what seems like ages and I'm considering a switch to Win7 64 when it comes out. What about 64bit drivers for your other devices & peripherals, do they work ok?

And what are the other reasons you're sticking with XP? Is there smthng important that didn't work in the RC?

VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Sat 16.05.2009 10:35:12 »

As said, everything works well and without no problems compared to vista a year ago.
There are still reasons to stick with XP: some important software is deeply built into my xp registry and synchronizes the copyright values online with any use of the software. It works only on XP.
Further reasons are more complex, but are connected to my router connections ...so don't ever the xp ^^

Edit: and there is no Ethernet driver for my board yet. ...flopped  msn011.gif
« Last Edit: Sat 16.05.2009 11:18:51 by VegasKill »

VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Sun 17.05.2009 12:38:32 »

Yesterday I took an ethernet driver from an ABIT board instead of my Gigabyte motherboard and internet worked, so I played some matches online. Windows 7 by itself is very very similar to vista, but a bit more responsive in some topics:
loading time for some applications as the standard picture viewer, the media center, media player 12,...
personalize themes on the fly,
windows start and especially shutdown times have improved.
Just to mention it: its awesome how the explorer groups windows in the new taskbar.

But now lets mention the gaming performance with UT3:
Loading Times/ responsiveness:
Windows 7 its not as responsive in UT3 as XP. Maybe UT3 has some problems with 64bit in general: Everything loads slower when it theoretically should load faster. Waiting around 1 minute to load Necropolis sounds a bit weird.
Gaming Performance
The gaming performance itself was good, tough I didn't modify the standard settings (1680x1050, texture and detail levels 3, 60FPS limited, DX10 (didn't spor no too big changes))
If someone requests for it I can check the fps benchmark for UT3 with both, Win7 and XP at same grafic settings and grafic card clock.

Fazit:
Windows7 RC2 could be used as main operating system, it will work til March 2010, when the genuine software program will remind you to get the full version of Windows7 by changing your desktop background and more measures as disconnecting your i-net some times etc...
There are new features compared to vista that make the OS more user friendly and functional. The performance with UT3 sucks a bit tough, maybe the 32bit version would solve this issue... for this game! 64bit offers a higher gaming performance in general!
Personally, I'll definitely stay with XP for now, also because a gaming pc should be optimized to run games at their best performance, no matter on what os its based on.

darkredfox
Dark Clan Member

GRRRRR!

« Reply #5 on: Tue 19.05.2009 14:34:03 »

Win7 should be the first OS I ever buyed. tsmiley.gif But as I told b4 I use a double OS with bootloader. And so I can use the Win7 as my MainOS but WinXP as my GameOS. I've buyed a WinXP Pro SP3 original and shrink-wrapped 4 only 29€.  Cool

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl FHTAGN.
VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Sat 18.07.2009 12:00:44 »

Windows 7 preorder versions were sold out the same day it was available (50Eur).
Thats fucking lame, just a pr action by M$... do they think all the vista users will upgrade if the price is around 100Eur?  xxxras.gif

Maybe I'll go for the system builder (about 70-80Eur) and buy my first operating system.  msn001.gif

INFERNAL-9
Multikill Member

Eternity? Time unit

« Reply #7 on: Sun 04.10.2009 13:45:04 »

Too Windows 7 Demo build 77113 Ultimate  . Price in my country is 320 Dollars in future
« Last Edit: Sun 04.10.2009 13:52:04 by INFERNAL-9 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: