Dark Clan Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Doh! Both my PC's are Toast  (Read 3666 times)
headshot241
Doublekill Member

« on: Sun 21.06.2009 23:44:14 »

Hi All,

Just wanted to update you on recent event's & to warn you all against that Old Mother Nature!

We were experiencing some freakish weather over the past week. This included some severe thunder storms where I live. Chrisaw will back this up as he is only less than 10 miles away from me.

On Monday we had some very stormy weather whilst I was at work. Unfortunately I thought the surge protector would be my saviour in this case but didnt expect what happened.  We had a very  close call with the lightening. This however, I must admit was a bit unfortunate. The lightning struck a street light  outside my neighbours house & spiked across causing a surge down the telephone / broadband lines. Whoops! xxxras.gif

As the power points are surge protected the telephone line is not. Its not something my provider doesnt  seem to hold as a priority! xxxras.gif

The surge came into the house, went directly to the router which was linked to both my laptop & Dell XPS gaming system xxxlaugh.gif via ethernet cable.

Even though both computers were off at the time the current was such that it seems to have cooked both computers  as well as the router msn002.gif

This is the reason that I have been absent from the ingame activities just lately. msn001.gif msn001.gif

As you can imagine it was a bit of a shock & I urge all of you to take precautions with your hardware & use me as a very costly example. msn001.gif

Please get some surge protection on all feeds to your PC's as this could happen to you!

Also, dont feel sorry as all is in hand & I will be back online soon.

Any recommendations for gaming Pc's including graphics cards processors etc would be helpful.

See ya all soon.

Regards.

Have fun, its only a Game!
sikeferenc
Godlike Member

« Reply #1 on: Mon 22.06.2009 08:34:55 »

Will the insurer pay the cost of the caused harm?

aka_sova
Dark Clan Member

« Reply #2 on: Mon 22.06.2009 08:44:46 »

In stormy weather my computer used to turn off immediately couple of times. From then i always turn it off when storm is coming...
headshot241
Doublekill Member

« Reply #3 on: Mon 22.06.2009 09:21:42 »

All the power sockets were unplugged but you don't expect the phone line to get hit by lightening.

In total 11 houses were knocked out. All of which had their Pc's fried.

Not to worry, we have insurance against such events.

In stormy weather, please unplug those internet feeds from the routers or buy some adequate surge protection.

Regards.

VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Mon 22.06.2009 12:14:33 »

OMG, PC toasted trough the dsl line, router and ethernet? Can't belive it... but if you say so.
The lightning protection on my telephone line was removed when I got the dsl filter for the phone plug.  msn002.gif

Mess with the best, die like the rest
headshot241
Doublekill Member

« Reply #5 on: Mon 22.06.2009 14:19:34 »

Only way in. All line jacks and filters are char-grilled.

Total cost around £2500!

Whoops!

PainSavour
Dark Clan Member

« Reply #6 on: Mon 22.06.2009 15:37:22 »

msn008.gif Better take that ethernet cable off next thunderstorm.

I've lost one hdd due to lightning, or at least it wasn't working after a storm.  xxxras.gif

You can't spell Slaughter without Laughter!
headshot241
Doublekill Member

« Reply #7 on: Mon 22.06.2009 18:50:54 »

msn008.gif Better take that ethernet cable off next thunderstorm.

I've lost one hdd due to lightning, or at least it wasn't working after a storm.  xxxras.gif

Thanks Pain I will keep it in mind next time. I'm sure there are some surge protectors for phone lines though just to be on the safe side next time.

regards

Bastardbrain
Multikill Member

« Reply #8 on: Mon 29.06.2009 16:18:53 »

Why not buy thid one. Should have no probs with FPS here
http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/systems-2009/special/lessdegrees/pius-edelweiss.htm

INFERNAL-9
Multikill Member

Eternity? Time unit

« Reply #9 on: Mon 29.06.2009 18:02:14 »

I bring the condolences!!! It awfully!
headshot241
Doublekill Member

« Reply #10 on: Sun 05.07.2009 12:09:44 »

Why not buy thid one. Should have no probs with FPS here
http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/systems-2009/special/lessdegrees/pius-edelweiss.htm

Thanks BB & Infernal for your comments.

BB, I have that one on order already.......... xxxw00t.gif

Hope to see ya a ll online soon.

Regards.

darkredfox
Dark Clan Member

GRRRRR!

« Reply #11 on: Mon 06.07.2009 17:50:50 »

Hey Headshot,

if you wont flare your machines again (esp. if you buy the shiny pius.edelweiss Cool), you can buy a multiple socket outlet with surge protection. Expensive but effective. Main disadvantage: Most of them has only two ports. If you want to protect your network behind, you can use only short cables or WLAN.  thumbs down.gif

If you need more, I advice you for the other machine a single surge filter as LAN-plug.

This is Brennenstuhls overkill multiple socket outlet (around 150€):

I think, you choose a lesser expensive module...

And there are some LAN-surge-filter (15-25€):

My home town was hit by a thunderstorm last week and many expensive routers was smelted. Roll Eyes So its neccessary to protect the DLS line too...

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl FHTAGN.
VegasKill
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: Mon 06.07.2009 19:18:13 »

Now I know what the Lan plugs in my APC are for. Not gonna use that anyways, no risk no fun!

Mess with the best, die like the rest
headshot241
Doublekill Member

« Reply #13 on: Tue 07.07.2009 20:47:58 »

Thnx guys for the comments.

I already have surge protection for the power surge from the electricity sockets but didnt expect the telephone lines to get spiked. xxxras.gif xxxras.gif xxxras.gif

I will however look into this as and when the tower is returned!

On a more positive note, the laptop is not cost effective to be repaired & I have been informed this afternoon that I will be receiving a Brand New all singing all dancing laptop. Apparently it is so up to date  with regards to processor & Graphics card that ut3 can & will be played on it............. msn012.gif msn012.gif

I would also like to say to Vegaskill that it is always nice to include an element of danger whilst playing on UT3 but the downside is the 2 weeks that I have been unable to get online with UT3! msn004.gif msn004.gif msn004.gif

I think it is the ' yin & yang ' effect, opposite's etc..........

All I hope for now is news on the tower................ msn002.gif msn002.gif msn002.gif

see you all soon.

regards.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: